I found a good article on NPR.org that reviewed the book. Their article included "Seven Reasons to use the Telephone instead of Email."
- When you need to convey or discern emotion.
- When you need to cut through the communication forest.
- When you need to move fast.
- When you want a remote communication to be private.
- When you need to reach someone who doesn't check their email.
- When you want people to be able immediately to engage and respond.
- When you need to send a harsh email, you can soften the blow (or distance yourself from it) by calling first with advance warning.
As pastors, we need to be very careful about the use of e-mail.