I stumbled on to his blog at spiritledpreaching.com today and found some excellent resources.
I don't want you to miss his article on The Expository Method
In the article Heisler says, “I believe the aim of all preaching is the glory of God through spiritual transformation. More specific, the goal of a Spirit-empowered, expository ministry of the Word of God is to change lives through preaching that engages the mind, inflames the heart, moves the will, and engenders faith in the hearer.”
While the alliterative style of this article is a little “old school” for me, he really has strong content here. I’ll list the main points of his article but you’ll want to read the whole article to get what he means by each point.
- Surrender Yourself to the Spirit’s Illumination
- Saturate Yourself in the Spirit’s Inspiration
- Survey the Context of Your Text.
- Scrutinize the Contents of Your Text
- Scan the Structure of Your Text
- Stick to The Authorial Intent of Your Text
- Support the Central Proposition of Your Sermon through Explanation and Illustration
- Secure Your Sermon to the Heart through Penetrating Application
- Show the Savior Throughout Your Sermon
- Spark Interest with an Intriguing Introduction To Your Sermon
- Specify the Response Your Sermon Seeks in the Conclusion
- Seek Sinners Through the Invitation of Your Sermon
This is excellent training for pastors...
You can buy the book from the LifeWay Online Catalog here…