An electronic survey questionnaire was carefully designed by an advisory group representing Baptist state conventions, LifeWay Christian Resources, and GuideStone Financial Resources. The questionnaire was accessible via the internet from January 7 through April 15 of 2008.
Authors of the study suggest you use the “Customized Study” menu option. It “cuts through” many apparent differences in data and gives you data for churches most like your own in size and financial resources. It is also important to use all state conventions when preparing a customized report. . This gives you the broadest possible database and provides the most accurate information for your church.
In the FAQs on the site, it is reported that there are at least five advantages to this study:
- It is uniquely Southern Baptist. All 13,020 responses included in the survey are for ministers and employees of SBC churches.
- It is free. The participating state conventions LifeWay Christian Resources, and GuideStone Financial Resources pay all costs.
- All reports are available on the Internet.
- Most compensation studies provide reports based on attendance, budget, etc. The customized report option is unique to the SBC study. This makes it possible to get compensation data based on churches most like your own by combining criteria.
- Every survey form received is evaluated for valid, useable data and over 20 data integrity filters are used on the data before study results are compiled.